Poi

  • Cama - Chiesa parrocchiale di San Maurizio

    First documented in 1219, the building as it stands today is in the Baroque style with a nave (possibly dating from 1611), barrel vault (around 1860), side chapels and bell tower (1656-62). The altars...
    Read more
  • Cama - Grotti di Cama

    Old cellars at the lower edge of a chestnut grove: small rectangular stone buildings (17th-19th century) once used for storing wine and other kinds of food. The group of caves as they are today probab...
    Read more
  • Castaneda - Chiesa Parrocchiale di Santa Maria Assunta (Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta)

    Located in the village of Santa Maria, it was the mother church of Calanca. It is an important and significant sacred building of mediaeval origin, with precious furnishings: mentioned in 1219, it is ...
    Read more
  • Castaneda - Chiesa parrocchiale di Santo Stefano (Parish Church of Santo Stefano)

    First mentioned in 1544, the present building dates back to 1633. It was renovated and the nave and bell tower were added in 1932. Inside it houses a series of paintings from 1932 and, in the choir, a...
    Read more
  • Grono - Cappella dell'oratorio di San Remigio (Chapel of the oratory of San Remigio)

    The oratory, which stands alone on the left side of the valley, was first mentioned in 1219 and partially rebuilt in the 17th century. It comprises a small medieval hall with semicircular apse set in ...
    Read more
  • Grono - Golena del Pascolet (Floodplain of Pascolet)

    A 25-hectare floodplain area created by demolishing the river banks built at the beginning of the 20th century on both sides of the Moesa; the floodplain has become a forest reserve, a hunting lodge a...
    Read more
  • Grono di Roveredo - Chiesa dei Santi Rocco e Sebastiano (Church of St. Rocco and St. Sebastiano)

    A Baroque oratory (rebuilt in 1615, with additions and new furnishings from 1690-1715) set in a small square in the centre; on the façade there are paintings of the Nursing Madonna and the patron sai...
    Read more
  • Grono di Roveredo - Chiesa parrocchiale di San Clemente (Parish Church of San Clemente)

    Set above the village (first documented in 1219), it has a Romanesque bell tower on the north side and two 18th-century painted sundials (one with an allegory of death). Inside, the nave with painted ...
    Read more
  • Grono di Roveredo - Ponte del Ram (Bridge of Ram)

    Situated to the south of the village, at the entrance to the Calanca valley, there is an elegant twin-arch stone bridge over the abandoned bed of the river Calancasca. Extended in 1822 when the San Be...
    Read more
  • Grono di Roveredo - Torre Fiorenzana (Fiorenzana Tower)

    This 13th-century 4-storey dwelling tower was recorded in 1314 as being owned by the de Sacco family. It is thought to be the oldest building in Grono. The stone building on a square plan with reinfor...
    Read more
  • Grono di Roveredo - Vecchia Birreria (Old Brewery)

    Horizontal late-Neoclassical building (now a restaurant) along the cantonal road, with a tree-lined square and the tower of the former Tognola brewery.
    Read more
  • Leggia - Chiesa parrocchiale dei santi Bernardo e Antonio abate (Parish Church of santi Bernardo e Antonio abate)

    The church, first documented in 1419 and altered in the following two centuries, has a bell tower dating from the late Middle Ages, a Baroque belfry with skylight, painted by Francesco Antonio Giorgio...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Cappella di San Nicolao (chapel of San Nicolao)

    Consecrated in 1611, it forms a charming Baroque ensemble with the former hospice; the murals on the outside (around 1611) have undergone major restoration work; inside there are 17th-century Baroque ...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Cappella Madonna d'Aquate (Madonna d'Aquate Chapel)

    At the northern exit of Lostallo, you pass the chapel. This votive chapel was built in 1704 by an emigrant from Lostallo, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary of Einsiedeln. It was converted into a mortua...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Cascata Buffalora (Waterfall Buffalora)

    The waterfall is visible on the right of the valley, near the restaurant of the same name and the cantonal road. When there is enough water, the Buffalora brook forms a foamy white cascade against a w...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Centrale elettrica ELIN di Rura (ELIN power station in Rura)

    This is an example of an industrial building of architectural importance: constructed by Giovanni Lombardi, to a project by Carlo Basilico (1956), it has a rectangular plan (1958), a fa?ade with an al...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Chiesa di San Carlo (Church of St. Carlo)

    A building with a rectangular choir, consecrated in 1633; it bears witness to the spread of devotion to Charles Borromeo, who had visited Mesolcina in 1583; on the choir vault, there are illusionist p...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta (Church of Santa Maria Assunta)

    Small building with square choir, consecrated in 1609; the extended gable roof forms an open gallery with two columns; 17th-century wall paintings and canvases.
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Chiesa parrocchiale di San Giorgio (Parish church of San Giorgio)

    The church, built in 1639-56, stands in a commanding position overlooking the village and is built on a longitudinal plan. It is one of the very few Baroque churches in Grisons where the outside (with...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Piazza della Centena (square)

    Once a field, located at the south entrance to the village, the general meeting, with elective and legislative functions (Centena) of the Comungrande (the combined communities of Mesolcina and Calanca...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Selva castanile (Chestnut forest)

    A terraced chestnut occupies the hilly area between the Church of St. George and the Aquate Chapel forest with dry stonewalls of medieval origin. Thanks to important interventions of recovery (care of...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Stalle di Cabié (Cabié stables)

    Reached by crossing the countryside towards Cabbiolo, you can admire a group of 13 stables of great historical-cultural and landscape quality, forming a harmonious nucleus of rural buildings, included...
    Read more
  • Lostallo - Zona golenale Rosera (Rosera floodplain)

    An area of 20 hectares has been revitalised since 1995 by removing the embankment on the right bank and lowering the ground by extracting inert materials. This has created a natural, wild space at the...
    Read more
  • Mesocco - Castello di Mesocco (Castle of Mesocco)

    The castle stands on a rocky outcrop overlooking the valley. It was the main fortress of the Grisonians and one of the largest castle fortifications in Switzerland. Built in the Dark Ages, in was exte...
    Read more
  • Mesocco - Chiesa di San Rocco (Church of San Rocco)

    This Baroque church, thought to have been built in the early 1500s, was a Capuchin hospice from 1668. It has two chapels (added in 1671) and some interesting paintings by Francesco Antonio Giorgioli.
    Read more
  • Mesocco - Chiesa di Santa Maria del Castello (Church of Santa Maria del Castello)

    Romanesque building, mentioned in 1219, with rectangular nave and two apses; extended in 1627; six-storey Romanesque bell tower. It houses a notable collection of paintings (1459-1469), including a cy...
    Read more
  • Mesocco - Chiesa parrocchiale dei Santi Pietro e Paolo (Parish church of Santi Pietro e Paolo)

    Steps with the Stations of the Way of the Cross lead up to the parish church that stands on a spot with panoramic views. The earliest records date back to 1219, although the present building has a Bar...
    Read more
  • Mesocco - Ponte Purlingheni (Bridge of Purlingheni)

    A few hundred metres below the former railway station, towards the hamlet of Benabbia, you will come across this single-arch stone bridge over a gorge created by the river Moesa. Much of the original ...
    Read more
  • Norantola di Cama - Castello di Norantola (Castle of Norantola)

    The fortalice, mentioned in 1324 as part of the Sacco family estate, was acquired by the Trivulzio family in 1480 and then destroyed in 1483. All that remains today are a some ruins comprising irregul...
    Read more
  • Norantola di Cama - Chiesa di San Lucio (Church of San Lucio)

    The small building stands on a rise close to the castle ruins. It has a square cross-vaulted choir and painted panels from a late-Gothic altar of the school of Ivo Srigel (1510).
    Read more
  • Pian San Giacomo - Chiesetta di San Giacomo (Little church of St. James)

    On the right side of the valley, mentioned since 1419. Simple longitudinal body with a bell gable transformed in 1683 and restored in 1961.
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Cappella di San Rocco (Chapel of San Rocco)

    This chapel, in an isolated position on the hill of Carasole, has a nave with a flat ceiling and a cross-vaulted choir. Traces of a Last Supper of the school of Seregno (second half of the 15th centur...
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Casa Tenchio (Tenchio House)

    This early Baroque (mid-17th century) horseshoe-shaped building, built in the style of the Italian mansions at the time, is on the road in the old centre of Piazza. The facade overlooks the courtyard ...
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Casa Zuccalli e Mazio (Zuccalli e Mazio House)

    It comprises two of the most interesting dwellings: Casa Zuccalli (owned by the well-known family of builders in Austria and Bavaria) with a round arch portal with faceted ashlar and graffiti depictin...
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Chiesa di San Fedele (Church of San Fedele)

    Located in the homonymous hamlet, mentioned in 1419, enlarged in 1630, deconsecrated and emptied of its furnishings in 1911, after a long period of neglect it became a restoration workshop of the Univ...
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Chiesa di Sant'Anna / Madonna del Ponte Chiuso (Church of Sant'Anna / Madonna del Ponte Chiuso)

    This impressive and harmoniously proportioned Baroque construction is one of the most interesting in the Mesolcina valley. It forms a scenic entrance to the Traversagna valley against the backdrop of ...
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Chiesa di Sant'Antonio abate

    The church is on the cantonal road in the old centre of Piazza. First documented in 1419 and extended in the 17th century, it is built on a plain longitudinal plan with a square choir. The hexagonal f...
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Chiesa parrocchiale di San Giulio

    This large medieval building (first mentioned in 1219) has an impressive post-Romanesque bell tower. Inside there is a Romanesque-Gothic polygonal choir (around 1300), flanked by side chapels entirely...
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Palazzo Comacio

    This impressive square building, arranged on three almost identical levels, was erected in around 1670 by Tommaso Comacio: it is possibly the only example of a civil engineering project designed and b...
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Palazzo Trivulzio

    The first records date back to the early 14th century. It was originally owned by the Sacco family and then acquired by the Trivulzio family in 1480. All that remains of the fortified building on the ...
    Read more
  • Roveredo - Torre di Boggiano

    This is an old medieval watchtower built in a commanding position on a rocky spur above the ravines of the Traversagna. From here there is a splendid view of much of the valley. The ruins of the four-...
    Read more
  • San Bernardino - Antica Fonte minerale

    This building was erected in 1829 by Paolo Battaglia, a wealthy trader from Milan. A medallion above a mineral water drinking fountain commemorates Battaglia's work.   
    Read more
  • San Bernardino - Cappella dell'oratorio di San Bernardino

    This is a cube-shaped building with a square choir. It has a low bell tower with pyramidic roof and a vestry. Built between around 1450-67, it was renovated in the 17th and 18th centuries. It houses r...
    Read more
  • San Bernardino - Chiesa Rotonda

    This is a central-plan church with a drum dome; the impressive steps were built between 1867 and 1897 in the style of the church known as San Carlo al Corso in Milano. Inside, in the main niche there ...
    Read more
  • San Bernardino - Hospice

    On the pass, near Moesola Lake, today it houses a restaurant; it is a neoclassical construction in the form of a parallelepiped dating from 1824-25 with a pavilion roof, originally with a central driv...
    Read more
  • San Bernardino - Hotel Ravizza/National

    The cube-shaped Neoclassical building with a hip roof was erected around the middle of the century; a plaque commemorates the fact that Cavour stayed here in 1858.
    Read more
  • San Bernardino - Lago d'Isola dam

    Just before reaching the village of San Bernardino, you will touch the lake, which has a capacity of 6.5 million cubic metres of water. The arched dam, 45 metres high, was built in 1960. The valley pa...
    Read more
  • San Bernardino - Lago Doss

    A round lake in a wide valley less than 2 km south of the village; the adjacent area is included in the inventory of peat bogs of national importance. Bathing is permitted here in summer season. As a ...
    Read more
  • San Vittore - Cappella di San Lucio

    This is the oldest building in the Mesolcina valley. It is the only one of its kind in the region and consists of a square oratory joined to a round one built on a rocky ridge beside the cantonal road...
    Read more
  • San Vittore - Collegiate Church of St. John the Baptist and St. Vittore

    A small deviation from the original route of stage 01 in the Mesolcina Valley; this building was built as a hall church in the 13th century and was subject to major renovations in the early 16th and 1...
    Read more
  • San Vittore - Palazzo Viscardi

    The building was erected next to the collegiate church in 1548 and altered between 1680 and 1700 by Giovanni Antonio Viscardi, architect at the court of the Bavarian electoral prince. Of noble proport...
    Read more
  • San Vittore - Torre di Pala

    Standing on a rock above the district of the same name, it was probably built at the end of the 1700s and extended in the following century. The six-storey rectangular building with battlements was pr...
    Read more
  • Soazza - Cappella dell'oratorio della Madonna Addolorata

    Baroque construction at the bottom of the steps leading up to the church of San Martino, altered in 1751.  
    Read more
  • Soazza - Casa Bianchini

    Built partly of wood and partly of stone, this edifice has a wall painting in a stucco frame depicting San Floriano (1757) the, patron saint of chimney sweeps. Many of those who emigrated from Soazza ...
    Read more
  • Soazza - Chiesa di San Rocco

    The Baroque building (1633), on a longitudinal plan, is located in the centre of the village. The rectangular choir is decorated with rich stucco work (mid-17th century). The barrel-vaulted side chape...
    Read more
  • Soazza - Chiesa parrocchiale di San Martino

    The hilltop parish church enjoys open views and is linked to the village and the oratory below by a long flight of steps. Registered in 1219, in 1626-39 it was transformed into a single hall church in...
    Read more
  • Soazza - Former railway station

    Enlarged and renovated, now houses the Cultural Centre. It includes a municipal and regional library and two small permanent exhibitions, one dedicated to wool processing and the other to soapstone (...
    Read more
  • Soazza - Selve castanili di Mont Grand

    A round trip of about 2 hours starts from the village and takes you through these chestnut woods of considerable environmental and scenic importance. The area is home to several monumental chestnut tr...
    Read more
  • Soazza - The Roggia (irrigation ditch)

    It runs down through the centre of the village and used to supply a dozen mills, a few lathes for processing soapstone, a forge and a crowd (buildings that have now disappeared or are used for other p...
    Read more
  • Suossa - Suossa Peat Bog

    This peat bog, with a surface area of around 2.8 hectares, was created around 10,000 years ago by the silting up of a glacial basin. It is an extreme environment where animal and plant species have ad...
    Read more
  • Verdabbio - Cappella dell'oratorio di Santa Maria Immacolata

    The building stands on a natural terrace in the middle of a chestnut wood, in the small rural community of Valdort (amidst houses, stables, utility buildings including a dilapidated mill).  
    Read more
  • Verdabbio - Chiesa parrocchiale dei Santi Pietro e Lorenzo

    First documented in 1219, the existing church is in the Baroque style (1668). Inside, the original 17th-century wooden ceiling of the nave, high altar with polychrome stucco decorations and superb pai...
    Read more

CONDIVIDI

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Share on email