The village of Palanzo stands at the foot of mount Palanzone, which was once a busy pass offering an alternative route to the lakeside roads. In 1162 it was under the jurisdiction of the archbishop of Milan. It was probably already a Milanese outpost on the lake before the outbreak of the ten-year war between Como and Milan (1118-28), which was fought on the lake and in the surrounding mountains. Its dedication to Sant’Ambrogio was the natural consequence of this historical subordination, as was the fact that it became a fortified stronghold. The church underwent radical reconstruction work in the early 17th century, when the image of Sant’Ambrogio, that had adorned its facade at the end of the 16th century, was probably copied for the current version. The magnificent high altar in marble with yellow and black inlay work now stands in the chapel dedicated to Our Lady, having been replaced by a second altar commissioned in the 18th century. The altar of Our Lady, with frescoes depicting the Mysteries, shares an old-fashioned seemliness with the other church furnishings.