Santa Maria’s church was built in the 13th century by the Order of the Umiliati (humbled), a religious order whose followers advocated a return to a more austere spirituality and a simple life. The church was funded by the Lavezzari family, and by Galeazzo Lavezzari in particular, who had it extended and decorated in the 16th century. Inside there are a number of 15th-century frescoes by De Benzi, including the polyptych behind the altar which is important for the splendidly designed wooden frame around the image of Our Lady of the Assumption, with Lavezzari at the bottom and saints at the sides. It is signed and dated 1500. The two frescoes dated 1504, also by De Benzi, have some interesting formal and expressive details.