The shrine, in the classical Baroque style, is set in a splendid position in the hamlet of Lezzeno. It was built in 1690 (possibly designed by the architect Quadrio), just two years after the miracle of 6 August 1688 when Bartolomeo Mezzera saw the Madonna depicted in a plaster medallion crying tears of blood. This phenomenon was recognised as a miracle and pilgrims still visit the shrine today. Inside, there is a marble high altar dating from 1746. The furnishings and treasures also date from the 18th century. Stop to rest for a few minutes and enjoy the splendid view of the lake from the parvis. The area of the square in front of the shrine is paved with porphyry stones, while the part to the rear has been left as grass and trees. From here, there is a wide cobbled mule track that bears left and leads the short way up to the chapel of the miracle built in 1888 to mark the second centenary of the phenomenon. The chapel houses the original tabernacle with a replica of the plaster medallion, which is now situated above the high altar in the shrine. Over the door there is the inscription: “Qui nelle Lacrime di Maria il cielo pensava alla terra; nel pentimento e nella preghiera la terra pensi al cielo” (Here in the Tears of Mary Heaven thought of Earth; Earth thinks of Heaven through repentance and prayer’).