The San Michele Bridge is a steel viaduct with mixed railroad traffic that connects the towns of Paderno D’Adda and Calusco d’Adda. It was built between 1887 and 1889 to span 150 metres over a deep depression in the Adda River with a large reticular structure. The elegance of its proportions, the accuracy of its design and the perfection of its construction make it the most mature expression of the progress achieved at the end of the 19th century by the Italian steel industry and civil engineering at the service of the railways. To this day, it is still a crucial point for crossing the Adda River, even though much of the heavy traffic is diverted to larger bridges at Trezzo sull’Adda and Brivio.
Source and further information: www.bellalombardia.regione.lombardia.it