Poi

  • Abbadia Lariana - Chiesa di San Bartolomeo (Church of San Bartolomeo)

    At the foot of the hill at Castello stands the late 17th-century Church of San Bartolomeo, built on the site of an earlier edifice. On the hill, once the centre of the abbot's feudal territory, there...
    Read more
  • Abbadia Lariana - Chiesa di San Lorenzo (Church of San Lorenzo)

    The church overlooks the lake and has an interesting 17th-century wooden altar and frescoes by Luigi Tagliaferri.
    Read more
  • Abbadia Lariana - Chiesa di San Martino (Church of San Martino)

    the building is very old, as evidenced by the lancet windows and the gabled roof; the presbytery, with its cross-vaulted ceiling, was added in the 15th century and contains interesting paintings, incl...
    Read more
  • Abbadia Lariana - Civico Museo Setificio Monti (Silk Museum)

    In about 1818, Pietro Monti converted an old building for felting wool, along with the irrigation ditch and hydraulic wheel, into a silk spinning mill. In 1869 he extended the building and added a new...
    Read more
  • Abbadia Lariana - Pozzo con affresco di Borbino (Well with fresco of Borbino)

    The hamlet of Borbino, perched on the mountain of the same name, offers some interesting views of ancient buildings and the surrounding countryside.
    Read more
  • Bellano - Chiesa dei Santi Nazaro e Celso (Church of Santi Nazaro e Celso)

    Built in the late Romanesque style, it has a black and white striped facade with ogival portals and a large rose window in enamelled terracotta. Restoration work was carried out between 1342 and 1350 ...
    Read more
  • Bellano - Chiesa di San Gottardo (Church of San Gottardo)

    Situated in the hamlet of Oro, a locality known in the past for the production of raisin wine ("vino passito"); it is the patron of wanderers and was erected between 1569 and 1579.
    Read more
  • Bellano - Chiesa di san Rocco (Church of San Rocco)

    Located next to the St. Rocco Bridge, the building houses valuable modern paintings by the artist Vitali, and since 1969, it has become a War Memorial.
    Read more
  • Bellano - Orrido di Bellano (natural gorge)

    This is a natural gorge created by the Pioverna river that has cut out gigantic potholes and fascinating caverns over the centuries. Its dark ravines and the hollow rumble of gushing water have inspir...
    Read more
  • Bellano - Santuario della Madonna delle Lacrime (Sanctuary of Madonna delle Lacrime)

    The shrine, in the classical Baroque style, is set in a splendid position in the hamlet of Lezzeno. It was built in 1690 (possibly designed by the architect Quadrio), just two years after the miracle ...
    Read more
  • Colico - Chiesa di San Rocco (Church of San Rocco)

    Next to the church there is a pleasant resting place with tables and stone benches surrounded by fields and chestnut groves. The Romanesque apse testifies to the church?s ancient origins. Some fairly ...
    Read more
  • Colico - Forte di Fuentes (Fort fo Fuentes)

    Built in 1603 to defend the Duchy of Milan from its Grisonian enemies, it was named after the Spanish Governor Pedro Enriquez de Acevedo Count of Fuentes. It was erected in record time by the military...
    Read more
  • Colico - Forte Montecchio Nord (Fort of Montecchio Nord)

    Colico was chosen as the site of this fort for its position at the end of the Tellina valley, a route traditionally used by invading armies. It was completed at the end of 1914 and was Italy?s most te...
    Read more
  • Colico - Torre di Fontanedo (Tower of Fontanedo)

    The Tower of Fontanedo (approx. 550 m) near Fontanedo (hamlet of Colico) stands in a commanding position on the spur that descends from the northern slope of mount Legnone. It was built for protection...
    Read more
  • Colico - Torretta (Turret)

    Picturesque rural farm building with a barbican, which proves that it was originally a fortification.
    Read more
  • Corenno Plinio - Castello e borgo medievale (Castle and medieval hamlet)

    The hamlet of Corenno Plinio is one of the most characteristic corners of lake Como. This place is imbued with history and it is still easy to imagine what life on the lake was like in the Middle Ages...
    Read more
  • Dervio - Chiesa dei Santi Quirico e Giulitta (Church of Santi Quirico and Giulitta)

    The path follows the old National Road and leads to Villa di Dervio near the church of Saints Quiricus and Juliette. Built in the style of the 17th century, the church has a lovely Romanesque bell tow...
    Read more
  • Dervio - Monastero di San Clemente degli Umiliati (Monastery of San Clemente degli Umiliati)

    This rural building was erected in the late 1200s to house the monks of the religious order of the 'Umiliati' (humbled). The order originated in Northern Italy in the 11th century, when certain nobl...
    Read more
  • Dervio - Torre del Castello di Orezia (Tower of Castle of Orezia)

    Perched on a cliff overlooking the village, the castle of Orezia was built in the late Middle Ages to block the road to the Varrone valley. The tower is still in good condition and is flanked by the r...
    Read more
  • Dorio - Chiesa della Madonna dei Monti (Church of Madonna dei Monti)

    The church stands in a solitary spot immediately after Perdonasco and Spares Mounts. These are two seasonal settlements (traditionally known as 'monti') that belong to the town of Dorio. The little ...
    Read more
  • Dorio - Chiesa di San Giorgio (Church of San Giorgio)

    The church of San Giorgio, which already existed in 1412, became the parish church of Dorio in 1506. Inside there is a large fresco from 1492 depicting the Virgin Mary and Saints and a resplendent San...
    Read more
  • Genico - Chiesa di San Pietro (Church of San Pietro)

    Originally dating from the Early Middle Ages, this little church was almost entirely rebuilt in the Romanesque style. It stands on the Piano di San Pietro (Saint Peter's Plain) which affords some of ...
    Read more
  • Gittana - Parrocchiale e Santuario della Madonna delle Grazie (Parish and Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie)

    The shrine stands in a scenic square with breathtaking views. The building, which stands apart from the present parish church, is now derelict. Rebuilt between 1620 and 1630, it is decorated with stuc...
    Read more
  • Lecco - Palazzo delle Paure (Palace of Fears)

    Built between 1902 and 1905, until 1964 it was the headquarters of the Finance office (“Intendenza di Finanza”), the land registry (“Catasto”) and the customs (“Dogana”), so it was given t...
    Read more
  • Lecco - Torre Viscontea (Visconti Tower)

    This is the only part of the Visconti fortifications to have survived the demolition ordered at the end of the 18th century. The triangular-shaped fortified village was completely surrounded by defens...
    Read more
  • Lierna - Chiesetta dei Santi Maurizio e Lazzaro (Church of Santi Maurizio e Lazzaro)

    Located in the ancient Borgo di Castello, dive into the maze of narrow streets and enjoy this "glimpse of the Middle Ages". All that remains of the old centre are the walls facing the lake and the s...
    Read more
  • Mandello del Lario - Chiesa della Madonna di Debbio (Church of Madonna di Debbio)

    The picturesque little church of Our Lady at Debbio, originally dedicated to Santo Stefano, stands at the top of a flight of steps, surrounded by cypress and fir trees. Inside there is a fine painting...
    Read more
  • Mandello del Lario - Chiesa di San Giorgio (Church of San Giorgio)

    The church is set in a small walled parvis, where you can stop for a rest and admire the view over Mandello and the lake. The marble holy water stoup dating from the 9th or 10th century is a clue to t...
    Read more
  • Mandello del Lario - Museo Moto Guzzi (Moto Guzzi museum)

    The Moto Guzzi Museum is located in the factory in Mandello del Lario where the 'legendary' bikes have been built ever since 1921. All of its racers were made here up until 1957, when Guzzi stopped ...
    Read more
  • Mandello del Lario - Torre del Barbarossa (Tower of Barbarossa)

    The tower testifies to the hospitality offered by the Mandelli family to the German Emperor Frederick Barbarossa in 1158. Built of limestone, it houses a museum founded by the Gruppo Amici di Maggiana...
    Read more
  • Piantedo - Chiesa della Madonna di Valpozzo (Church of Madonna di Valpozzo)

    This is a 19th-century church with a pronaos built in 1944 and sturdy bell tower. Next to the building is a war memorial to the martyrs of the Resistance movement, which was very active in this area.
    Read more
  • Sorico - Chiesa di Santo Stefano (Church of Santo Stefano)

    Next to the church stands an imposing bell tower. Originally constructed in the Romanesque style, the Baroque tower that stands today was rebuilt in 1703. The signs of previous 15th-century alteration...
    Read more
  • Sorico - Chiesetta di San Miro (Little church of San Miro)

    The little church offers panoramic views from its commanding position overlooking Sorico and the entire lake. Inside it houses the remains of the venerable hermit, who died at the end of the 14th cent...
    Read more
  • Sorico - Riserva naturale Pian di Spagna e Lago di Mezzola (Pian di Spagna and lake Mezzola Nature Reserve)

    The 'Pian di Spagna' plain, a wetland of international importance, was primarily formed by extensive flooding of lake Mezzola. The landscape is dominated by reed thickets. There are also hardwood fo...
    Read more
  • Sorico - Torre Nuova di Sorico (Tower of Sorico)

    We do not know the exact date of its construction, but historians agree that in the past it was used as a control and collection point for customs duties on the ancient Via Regina.
    Read more
  • Varenna - Baluardo (Bastion)

    The Baluardo (Bastion) reminded a fortified castle built by the Sforza family during the Venetian wars and, today, it is a grassy area surrounded by cypress trees, with a fantastic view of the lake.
    Read more
  • Varenna - Castello di Vezio (Castle of Vezio)

    The picturesque construction is a typical example of a castle-enclosure with a separate central tower surrounded by a wall and several smaller towers. Its origin is not certain. Some scholars attribut...
    Read more
  • Varenna - Cava bassa (Low quarry)

    Along the Via alla Cava Bassa in Varenna there is a black marble quarry that was used at the time of Maria Theresa of Austria.
    Read more
  • Varenna - Chiesa di San Giorgio (Church of San Giorgio)

    Built in the 14th century, it was restored in the 1950s. The facade is decorated with a 14th-century painting of Sa Cristoforp. Inside there are some late Romanesque and 15th-century frescoes, includi...
    Read more
  • Varenna - Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista (Church of San Giovanni Battista)

    The church stands alone in the main square; according to an inscription from 1750 it was extended in 1151 and consecrated in 1431. Some frescoes in the nave, thought to date from the 14th century, wer...
    Read more
  • Varenna - Ex funicolare di Regoledo (Ex cable railway of Regoledo)

    The path crosses the cutting where the old cable railway used to run, linking the Lecco to Sondrio railway line with Regoledo and, in particular, a hydrotherapy centre that opened there in 1858. Cesar...
    Read more
  • Varenna - Sorgenti del Fiumelatte (Fiumelatte Springs)

    Mentioned as "Fiumelaccio" by Leonardo da Vinci in the Codex Atlanticus, with a length of just 250 metres from source to mouth, it is among the shortest rivers in Europe and the second shortest in I...
    Read more
  • Varenna - Villa Monastero

    The old convent and patrician residence is now an internationally acclaimed Congress Centre. The gardens are full of exotic plants with statues, temples and balustrades. The villa, as its name indicat...
    Read more

CONDIVIDI

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Share on email